Chef Open Positions
User Experience Designer II
Chef is building the best infrastructure automation platform on the planet. We’re writing the rules of the cloud -- rules the world’s top engineers live, breathe and contribute to. Our platform is used to enable hundreds of millions of people around the world to chat, fly, present, bank, game, shop, and learn. Chances are the web applications you use everyday have infrastructure built, deployed, secured and managed with our code.
UX Designers at Chef are responsible for shaping and crafting user experiences and UX strategy for all of our products. You will not only envision how people will experience our products, but shepherd that vision to life in a way that is inspired, refined, and enjoyable. You will utilize your full range of skills in user research, information architecture, interaction design, and visual design to guide the overall user experience for Chef products.
The Chef UX Team is dedicated to designing our products and services with purpose, empathy and integrity. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions in order to yield fresh insights that inform our product strategy, and guide the design of the experiences we create. We do this by optimizing user value and happiness through regular, sustained engagement with users and prospective customers. Your Team will be multidisciplinary at Chef. We collaborate closely with other designers, product managers, engineers, and many others to tackle complex challenges and craft powerful experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities.
You will be expected to creatively translate broad stroke ideas into delightful user experiences. To do so, you will craft conceptual sketches, wireframes, prototypes, and detailed screen designs to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas. You should be comfortable in an agile team environment, and closely partnering with product managers and engineers to lead the user experience of a product from conception until launch (and beyond). Other key responsibilities include:
- Design high-level flows and user journeys that map compelling user experiences.
- Scope and run multiple concurrent design projects.
- Collaborate to craft and refine the user model and user interface for new and existing products, for both GUI and CLI-based experiences.
- Comfort working in an “agile” team environment with all of the typical processes and rituals (standups, retros, kanban boards etc). Provide and solicit feedback from other designers to continually raise our bar for quality.
- Craft and shape user personas and engage in sustained, ongoing dialog with our users.
- Conduct user research and usability tests to collect and incorporate user feedback.
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, product/industrial design), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), related field, or equivalent experience.4+ years work experience in related field.
- Proven experience in the 5 core disciplines of User Experience: Interaction Design, Information Architecture, Visual Design, Usability Engineering, and Prototyping.
- Demonstrated experience with common tools of the trade such as Sketch, InVision, Adobe Suite, or equivalent.
- Experience in designing, building and shipping software applications.
- Ability to think on a conceptual level about product strategy and vision.
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to the above)
- MA/MS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, product/industrial design), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5-7 years experience as a UX Designer.
- Proven experience designing user experiences for data-driven applications that make robust use of data visualizations.
- Proven HTML/CSS skills.
Note: Please include URLs for an online portfolio (or some equivalent) along with a resume. Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
If this sounds like a team you’d enjoy working with and technology you want to spend time on, for a product you can get behind, get in touch!
At Chef, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products and our community to flourish. Chef is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.