Are you excited about helping define the future of Chef’s products? We’re looking for a seasoned product manager to join our team with a focus on delighting enterprise customers with our approach to continuous automation. As product manager at Chef, you’ll be responsible for building great products that that help teams manage infrastructure at scale across heterogeneous environments: on-prem, cloud, containers, and VMs. Chef Automate, our flagship product for enterprises of all sizes, provides a jumping off point for your innovations around increasing customer value and adoption.
As a product manager, your role is to understand and represent the voice of the customer at Chef. You lead teams to define, build, and optimize Chef’s products for managing infrastructure and compliance at scale. Day to day this ranges from researching market opportunities, to analyzing competitors’ offerings, to developing the perfect roadmap to achieve business outcomes, to shipping incredible customer experiences. You listen to the practitioner and the IT decision-maker alike. You possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You can hold your own in our very technical domain and don’t mind hopping onto the command line. You love talking to customers to understand their problems, and finding innovative solutions for the broader market.
When you’re not speaking with customers, you’ll partner with other areas of the company:
- You will work as part of a team with engineering and UX to conduct product discovery and define requirements
- You will work with marketing to define the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customer
- You will serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering
For this position, we are seeking someone with a technical background that loves talking to customers, understanding their problems, and building great products to surprise and delight them.
- Understand our market and competitors
- Help define a product vision and strategy
- Research, understand, and represent the voice of the customer through frequent interactions with customers
- Work closely with other teams at Chef: engineering, documentation, marketing, sales, and customer-facing teams
- Break down complex problems into steps that drive iterative product development
- Be accountable for building the right product features to support business objectives and delight customers
- 5+ years of software product management experience
- Strong familiarity with continuous automation and modern devops tooling: infrastructure, CI/CD, developer tools, etc.
- Experience with enterprise software delivered both on-premises and as a SaaS
- High degree of technical acumen; experience as a developer or system administrator would be relevant
- Understanding of the container ecosystem
- A passion for understanding users and their experiences with products, and curiosity about delightful products no matter what the domain
- Comfort with modern product management practices such as user story mapping
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience with lean/agile development methodologies (Kanban, XP or Scrum)
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- This position requires occasional travel to customer and non-customer sites (less than 25%)
At Chef, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products and our community to flourish. Chef is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.