Professional Services Technical Consultant (Solutions Engineer)
Do you want to work for a company that’s driving new technology practices around automation, collaboration and optimization? Chef has created the leading products that help transform enterprises large and small and we need you to help with that journey.
We employ some of the most well-known and respected software developers, systems architects, and operations engineers in the world, who have built, designed and operated applications you use every day. Our open source project, Chef, includes corporate contributions from Facebook, HP, Dell, VMware, Nordstrom, Rackspace and hundreds of other leading edge technology companies.
A Solutions Engineer at Chef is a professional services engineer who drives adoption of Chef products and practices. The Solutions Engineer is a highly experienced practitioner in the area of system automation solutions and frequently acts as the face of Chef, whether in online communities, with customers, or at conferences and online gatherings. The Solutions Engineer’s leading duty is the completion of both on-site and remote customer projects, including installations, consultations, and trainings. As such, the position involves frequent travel.
This position requires completion of a clean background check upon hire and on a yearly basis.
- Provides engineering services in the use of Chef’s products, such as on-site customer installations, Chef training, cookbook development and usage, and development of custom code for customer migration or implementation.
- Trains groups and individuals on how to use Chef products for IT automation, configuration management, and continuous delivery, and evaluates such training to ensure that training is effective, using feedback and testing to continually improve the systems used.
- Delivers customer feedback to the Product Team, thereby influencing the product roadmap.
- Works within the Solutions Engineering team in the development of specific cookbooks or other Chef use cases to further build out the body of Chef knowledge in the Chef Community.
- Develops and delivers great presentations on what Chef products can do, tailoring such presentations toward specific individuals; small or large organizations; or audiences at technology conferences or trade shows. Such presentations may be live or online. In such presentations, the solutions engineer articulates, with customers or potential customers, the advantages of system automation and the specific Chef advantage.
- Remains knowledgeable and up-to-date on changes and developments in enterprise computing infrastructure and cloud computing provider industries.
- Periodically collaborates with other Chef teams such as marketing, support, and sales to provide technical assistance and content where applicable.
- Documents services provided to customers, including new code, techniques and processes, in such a way as to make such services more efficient in the future and to add to the Chef Community. Works with the Engineering and Customer Success teams, to contribute documentation for Chef products.
- Uses social networks, online and otherwise, in a creative, meaningful way to reach a large audience of users and build the Chef community.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a similar field.
- Heavy preference for Chef Certified applicants
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in systems engineering/administration or software development.
- Understanding of configuration management tools and principles.
- Ability to work directly with customers and a commitment to their success.
- Demonstrably superb verbal communications skills, including a dynamic and engaging presentation style that inspires confidence — significant training experience a big plus.
- Experience in dynamic / scripting programming languages and Infrastructure Automation tools.
- Experience in training others in complex tasks and skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Existing involvement in the Chef community is a bonus.
- Experience running production IT / web operations is a bonus.
- Prior experience in technical consulting a bonus.
- Awesomeness trumps all other requirements.
At Chef, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products and our community to flourish. Chef is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.