Modern computing architectures involve multiple servers, cloud-based virtual machines and containers working together to form a greater system. Each of the components in this system need to be configured automatically and reliably to actively participate in the larger computing infrastructure. Chef Infra automates the complete configuration of most any computing system to deliver the services needed. Chef Infra Foundations is a comprehensive instructor-led course covering the basic architecture of Chef Infra and the use of Chef Workstation and its associated tools. In this course, development, engineering, and operations staff will learn to use Chef Infra to automate the configuration, deployment, and management of cloud and server infrastructure. Each of the core units in this course has hands-on exercises to reinforce the material. Students will learn Chef by using it.
This class is also the first step on your way towards Chef Certification.
- Using Chef resources - the building blocks
- Building Chef recipes and cookbooks
- Introduction to testing cookbooks with Test Kitchen
- Collecting details about the system via Ohai
- Attributes - writing dynamic code
- Managing data with templates
- Advanced templating - passing in variables
- Storing your code in a repo - an introduction to Git
- Workstation setup
- Centralizing management with Chef Server
- Using Community Cookbooks
- Automating chef-client runs
- Managing a multi-node infrastructure
- Simplification and scalability through Roles
- Power automation - invoking Chef Search
- Staging versus Production - Environments
- Using Databags to create user accounts on servers
For virtual classes, you should have a computer (on which you have root or Administrator access), a microphone, a headset and an external monitor.
For in-person classes, only a Wi-Fi enabled laptop (on which you have root or Administrator access) is needed.
The following operating systems have been tested as workstation systems with the hands on exercises:
- Ubuntu 16+
- Mac OS X 10.13+
- Windows 10+
Other platforms and platform versions may work without modification. Due to time constraints we will not be able to troubleshoot issues with unlisted platforms.
Attendees should install the following required non-Chef software before the workshop starts:
- SSH/SCP (OpenSSH, puTTY/WinSCP or equivalent)
- Programmer’s text editor (Vi/Vim, Emacs, Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text 3 or equivalent)
- RDP – Remote Desktop Protocol or equivalent for connecting to a Windows Server
Additionally, all attendees should install Chef Workstation (https://downloads.chef.io/chef-workstation/)
You will need familiarity with the following:
- Writing code (of just about any flavor) in a text editor
- Working on the command line
- Basic system administration - installing packages, configuring those packages, starting a service
I don't usually like online training, but this training was great and Eric is really good, well-organized, and in control. The way he engaged each participants is amazing, and how he troubleshoot issues.
Class was excellent, and the Instructor was even better! Robin Beck is the best!
The lab setups are excellent and allow the class to focus on the training objectives. It was a great way to get hands on experience with Compliance in one day.
This was the best training class I've taken. It was online using Zoom, it was super easy to share code and collaborate. The instructor kept everything going at a perfect pace and his knowledge and expertise on the topic was evident. 22 years of training in my career and this was hands down the best class I've taken. Better than classroom training. Looking forward to more!
This was the best course I've ever taken. The instructor was just GREAT!
It was great.
Robin Beck provided an excellent training: he was very knowledgeable and held a very comprehensive two day training session!
this is a great class, with great content and mentor
Excellent information presented by an experienced practitioner and an excellent presenter.
Even though I've been using Chef for three years, I found this class immensely useful; not only did it allow me to examine and compare my current practices to those presented in the training, but I learned several new techniques for using Chef tools.
I will recommend this class to my organization as one of the more complete solutions to on boarding new Chef users.
I was sad to have the training end! The personalized attention from the instructor was priceless. Chef made sense and I LOVED it! Every question and problem were solved and explained. Truly craft masters of Chef, take this and be ready to be amazed. I'm applying what I learned the next week after the course. Thank you CHEF!