This year’s ChefConf ’21 proved to be incredible, delivering transformative value to many like-minded DevOps folks. By bringing the best DevOps leaders and IT innovation from all around the world together through keynote addresses, technical sessions, networking, and more, ChefConf has brought attendees the ultimate DevOps event experience - content, connections, and a foundation to build upon for the future. And of course, let’s not forget the awesome sets from Deep Sea Diver and Lakou Mizik!
In a bid to showcase some of the best DevOps practices and talent, the last day of ChefConf kicked off a 6-week Hackathon! Unlike the hack days of past ChefConfs, this year we are going big and inviting projects to be submitted that are bigger than anything we have done before.
There is $60,000 USD worth of prizes, so be sure not to miss it!
Hackathon: What’s the deal?
Throughout the year, we aim to inspire innovation and deliver value, and this hackathon exemplifies both. We encourage you to show the world the power of DevOps and make the world a better place while doing it. This challenge will make you exhibit your work in the DevOps ecosystem that is positively impacting our world. You can go a step further and create innovative solutions to improve our lives, too.
This year's Hackathon will be entirely virtual to demonstrate how innovation can happen even when working remotely. Since we are an open community, everyone is welcome to participate.
Get ahead of the game
If you’re excited about this event and can’t wait to get started, here’s what you need to get started:
What to Build
You can build a system of automation that improves the lives of anyone in the DevOps world using at least one of the pieces of Chef’s software suite (Chef Infra, Chef InSpec, Chef Habitat, and Chef Automate).
Do you have a great idea but can’t execute it by yourself? Find someone to team up with. Conversely, if you want to join folks in building something cool, we’ll help you out.
What to Submit?
Be sure to submit the form and don't forget to include the following information:
- Tell us about how you built your solution using DevOps practices, Chef software, and any other tools you used
- Explain how your solution works and how it meets the goal of "Automating for Good".
- Provide the GitHub link to your functioning demo by making your code public or by sharing access with email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org (which should include a readme with details for deployment and operation).
- Include a video (about 3 minutes) that demonstrates your submission. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube and made public with the hashtags #ChefHackathon and #AutomateForGood.
When to Submit?
We will accept submissions between Thursday, September 9, 2021, 10 AM ET and Monday, October 25, 2021, 5 PM ET, and the judging will take place the following week. The winners will be announced on Tuesday, November 16, 2021.
Where can I find help during the Hackathon?
- For communications during the Hackathon, we will use Chef Community slack in the #hackathon room. This is open to everyone, so please join the room if you are not part of it already.
- We also have live streaming and office hours on Tuesdays live on twitch.tv/ChefSoftware and https://www.youtube.com/getchefdotcom
We’re 100% invested in our community, and in building solutions that push us all to do (and be) better. That’s why this hackathon has some fantastic prizes in store for the winners.
|Prize Name||Prize Items|
|1st prize||$15,000 USD|
|2nd prize||$10,000 USD|
|3rd prize||$5,000 USD|
|Best implementation x2||iPad Pro|
|Most promising idea x4||PS5|
|Submitter Swag Pack||Exclusive swag for every team that sends in an eligible submission|
But that’s not all; everyone participating will stand a chance to win some slick Chef swag! So, what are you waiting for? Let’s hack away with your peers!
We look forward to having you join us in building value for the DevOps world!