Hosted Chef, your gateway to managing Chef infrastructure in the cloud, is set to receive an upgrade to Elastic Search. To facilitate this upgrade, we will be having a maintenance window on 4/26/2022.
4/26/2022, 2022 – 2AM PST – 3:00 AM PST
The maintenance will affect manage.chef.io as well as api.chef.io. We understand the length of maintenance may create errors for associated Chef clients and so want to give an early warning to customers. It is recommended that current alerts for https://manage.chef.io / https://api.chef.io be silent during that time. It is also recommended that client runs be paused during this window.
Below are some questions we anticipate regarding the migration:
- When is this planned to happen?
The migration is slated for 4/26/2022 between 2 AM PST and 3:00 AM PST.
- What will be happening during this window?
manage.chef.io services will enter maintenance mode for 10 minutes. During this time, we will be performing the following tasks
- Elastic Search to OpenSearch migration
- Verification of upgrades across hosted chef environments
- Re-indexing of data
- What services are expected to go offline?
We have planned for the following services to be affected:
- The Hosted Chef web portal (https://manage.chef.io)
- The API (https://api.chef.io), which will affect Workstation and Chef Client connections
- Client Runs
- Are systems expected to go offline?
Yes, there will be a pause in service from 2 AM PST to 2:10 AM PST. Any node managed by https://manage.chef.io will be in maintenance mode. Client scans should be paused until 3:00 AM PST to accommodate the re-indexing of data.
- What precautions can be taken to avoid being affected during this window?
Although we anticipate no user requiring precautionary procedures, we encourage users to ensure the following during the window of migration:
- Not have any planned deployments
- Silence alerts focused on manage.chef.io/api.chef.io
- Do not run client scans during the window
- What happens if I do a client scan during the maintenance window?
- While data is being indexed client scans will repeat data from the last scan
- Data will not be updated until the window is complete
- Should users perform any procedures after the migration?
We are working on ensuring that all services will resume as-is after the migration. We hope there will be no requirement to make any changes to the existing code for any customer. All URLs, APIs, and services will continue operating the same way as they are now.
- How can one track the migration?
We will be updating the status of the migration and availability of services continuously on status.chef.io. We will also be communicating through our social media channels once the migration is complete and all status checks show green.
- When will I know that things are completed?
If you have questions or concerns during the maintenance, feel free to join our slack space and let us know!