Core to Discount Tire’s success is their commitment to continuously seek out new and innovative approaches that lead to better customer experiences. To support this effort, the Discount Tire app delivery teams needed the ability to easily test drive and adopt new technologies, many of which are built on cloud-based architectures and different flavors of Linux. As a result, the Discount Tire team didn’t want to be locked into their legacy Red Hat infrastructure and decided to migrate from Satellite to Chef.
This started with migrating its website to AWS, which meant a move from Satellite to Chef. With Chef, Discount Tire has been able to take advantage of Chef’s Policy-as-Code approach to consolidate management of its on-prem instances and AWS configuration policies, while automating its patching process and accelerating application delivery.
The Discount Tire team, a tenured group of IT professionals known for innovating, was focused on evolving its IT infrastructure in a way that would allow it to easily consume new technologies to better serve its customers. This started with migrating its website to AWS, which meant a move from Satellite to a platform that would allow the team to easily consolidate management of its on-prem instances and its AWS configuration policies, while automating its patching process and accelerating application delivery.
- Migrated from Satellite onto Chef to manage on-prem instances and AWS configuration policies, while automating patching and accelerating application delivery.
- Took a Policy as Code approach, building out cookbooks and configurations in Chef to ensure best practice consistency in the infrastructure management and application delivery process.
- Set up the Chef client to run every 30 minutes, providing continuously updated compliance data.
- Standardized on CIS benchmarks via a tagging procedure that allows new servers to be added without the need for custom profiles.
- Reduced operational complexity by being able to build and deploy applications on a technology agnostic platform.
- Accelerated the rate at which new technologies can be delivered and consumed, resulting in a better end-user experience for Discount Tire customers.
About Discount Tire
Discount Tire has been in business for over 60 years and has built relationships with all of the top tire and wheel manufacturers. The company takes pride in offering the lowest prices, the most choices and the best customer service in the industry. Discount Tire is the industry's #1 resource for Tires and Wheels.