- Develop and Test
- System State Enforcement
- Data Aggregation and Validation
Chef Workstation: Everything You Need to Create and Test Policy-Based Configuration Management Automation
Chef Workstation gives users all the tools they need to get started with Chef all in one easy-to-install package. Users can execute ad-hoc remote configuration tasks, perform remote scanning, create cookbooks, test software and dependencies and much more. Chef Workstation provides a local developer experience and can be run on Linux, Mac laptops, or Windows systems.
Chef Workstation includes:
- Chef Tools: Chef Infra Client, Chef InSpec and Chef Habitat
- Chef Language: Pre-built resources for managing systems as well as helpers to make authoring and distributing cookbooks easy
- Testing and Upgrade Tools: Test Kitchen, Chef Cookstyle and Chef Upgrade Lab
Whether applying existing policies from the Chef Supermarket, the Chef community or writing customized policies, Chef Workstation ensures users have everything they need to get up and running quickly.
Create Configuration Policies: Chef Cookbooks and Recipes
A Chef Infra Cookbook is the fundamental unit of configuration and policy automation distribution. Cookbooks are used to describe the system resources under management, such as files, templates, and software packages. Resources are defined in Chef Infra recipes that describe in human-readable code the desired state of each system. The code describes the desired state and then the Chef Infra Client automatically configures the system.
Test Configuration Policies: Test Kitchen, Chef Cookstyle and Chef InSpec
Workstation includes a number of testing tools, including Chef InSpec, that help shorten deployment cycles and inform development decisions as you build out and refine your cookbooks.
- Test Kitchen is an open source testing framework that tests cookbooks using Vagrant, Docker, VMware vSphere, or leading cloud providers.
- Chef Cookstyle is a code analysis tool that helps users write better Chef Infra cookbooks by detecting issues and automatically correcting cookbook code.
- Chef InSpec is a compliance testing solution that defines policies as code and provides continuous visibility into compliance status across all systems and teams. Test Kitchen InSpec tests can be run against a converged cookbook for easy local infrastructure validation.