IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTICE: ON JANUARY 6TH, 2022 – 2 AM PST – 5 AM PST HOSTED CHEF WILL BE OFFLINE IN ORDER TO PERFORM SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE.
Hosted Chef, is scheduled for periodic maintenance on January 6th, 2022 from 2 AM PST to 5 AM PST. During this time, we will be making a number of software updates. This maintenance update WILL NOT impact users running their OWN Chef Automate or Chef Infra Servers.
Impacted systems will include:
- Hosted Chef (manage.chef.io)
- Chef API (api.chef.io)
- Chef Supermarket (supermarket.chef.io)
During the maintenance window the Chef Infra Client running on nodes reporting to Hosted Chef will not be able to check in, which may result in errors being generated and reported to monitoring systems. It is recommended that current alerts for manage.chef.io / api.chef.io be silenced during that time.
Below is additional information regarding the upgrade:
- When is the upgrade scheduled?
The upgrade will take place on January 6th, 2022 between 2 AM PST and 5 AM PST. During that time the following tasks will be executed:
- Database upgrades
- Chef infra server upgrades
- Verification of upgrade across Hosted chef environment
- What services will go offline?
The maintenance window will run from 2 AM PST to 5AM PST. Any node managed by https://manage.chef.io will be in maintenance mode. In addition, the following services will be impacted:
- What actions are required on your part?
You do not need to take any action. During the scheduled time, Hosted Chef services will enter maintenance mode. During the maintenance period you will not be able to make any changes to any servers. Nodes connected to Hosted Chef will not be able to:
- Check in
- Receive updates (recipe and policy changes)
- Be scanned via the Chef Infra Server Manage dashboard or Chef Automate
- What precautions can be taken to avoid being affected during this window?
We encourage users to take the following actions during the maintenance window:
- Pause all planned deployments that would rely on any of the impacted systems
- Silence alerts focused on manage.chef.io/api.chef.io
- How can one track the status of the migration?
We will be updating the status of the upgrade and availability of services continuously on status.chef.io. We will also be communicating updates via the Chef Slack channel. Once the migration is complete all status checks will show green.
- Should users perform any procedures after the upgrade?
We are working to ensure all Hosted Chef services will resume as-is after the upgrade. All URLs, APIs, and services will return to normal. Once the upgrade is completed, users will be able to login to manage.chef.io and resume normal operations.
If you have questions or concerns during the maintenance, feel free to join our slack space and let us know!