What are the next steps you can take?
As AWS OpsWorks users, you can evaluate your options and plan to mitigate roadblocks once the support for OpsWorks is discontinued. Chef provides two options for you to use for future transitioning; the first is a completely managed SaaS-based solution
called Chef SaaS, and the other is Chef's BYOL offering in AWS Marketplace.
What are the different options?
Chef SaaS is a cloud-based solution for managing infrastructure, compliance, and cloud security automation to manage entire IT estates. Chef SaaS uses the latest version of Chef Automate, ensuring the always updated version for its users. If you want to continue to leverage the managed solutions on the cloud, we recommend that you transition to Chef SaaS. Some of the benefits include:
- Faster time to value
- Reduced operational costs
- On-demand automation
- Support for multi-environments
- Centralized governance
If your organization doesn’t prefer a SaaS model, Chef provides multiple options, including an AWS Marketplace Bring Your Own License (BYOL) model or self-hosting on EC2.
What will the migration to Chef SaaS look like?
The steps to migration
- Verify that you are on the latest OpsWorks version (20220329091442)
- Back up your OpsWorks environment so Chef can build your SaaS environment.
- Change your existing OpsWorks DNS to the new Chef SaaS DNS.
The benefits of working with Chef
If you rely on AWS to manage your Chef environment, we recommend shifting to the Chef SaaS solution to ensure seamless continuity. The benefits of working directly with Chef include the following:
- Direct access to Chef technical support expertise
- Faster access to new Chef features from the original development source
- Easier access to additional Chef capabilities, such as support for securing cloud-native assets, including Kubernetes
- Direct access to optional Chef professional services
- Ability to leverage additional managed services options directly from Chef
- A flexible, fully documented, and supported migration path to Chef SaaS and generous time frame support for the transition
As the support for AWS OpsWorks gets discontinued, Chef SaaS is an excellent alternative solution to transition into for the future. Chef SaaS is the single, wholly managed solution available for existing OpsWorks users as we move forward.
If you have any concerns or questions, please reach out to us.